1 Guide Assumptions
This guide is designed for beginners who want to get started with a Rails application from scratch.
It does not assume that you have any prior experience with Rails.
However, to get the most out of it, you need to have some prerequisites installed:
- The Ruby language version 1.9.3 or newer.
- The RubyGems packaging system, which is installed with Ruby versions 1.9 and later. To learn more about RubyGems, please read the RubyGems Guides.
- A working installation of the SQLite3 Database.
Rails is a web application framework running on the Ruby programming language.
If you have no prior experience with Ruby, you will find a very steep learning curve diving straight into Rails.
There are several curated lists of online resources for learning Ruby:
- Official Ruby Programming Language website
- reSRC's List of Free Programming Books